Is it your first time on a captained charter? No need to worry! The captain and crew are there to ensure you have a fun and safe experience.
The captain generally should go over the following with all guests onboard:
- How to use life jackets and personal flotation devices (PFDs)
- Explain who is required to wear life jackets and/or PFDs based on local, state, and federal laws
- How to help someone who has gone overboard
- Give instructions on safe swimming around boats
- Show you where fire extinguishers and emergency equipment is located
- Identify and explain the uses of horns, flares, VHF radios, and bilge pumps
- Provide a basic plan in case of an emergency on board.
Don't hesitate to ask questions! Boat captains are there to help you and they want to provide a memorable experience on the water. They're also a great resource if you're interested in learning more about booking charters in the future.