USCG requirements, if a captain is not provided and a renter is operating the boat
- Have a valid captain’s license / boating license to operate the vessel listed. Check here for your state regulations - Boater Safety Education Programs in the United States.
- If the owner is offering a bareboat charter with over 12 paying passengers, the vessel will need a certificate of inspection.
- The vessel has the required insurance to operate.
The requirements for a certificate of inspection can all be found on the USCG website:
We recommend contacting your local USCG office to speak with an officer and get the process started. And to keep renters safe, we encourage all boat owners to properly maintain, store, and keep active maintenance/registration records. Additionally, it is mandatory to install and/or make available federal regulations or state regulations safety equipment.
Q: What is a bareboat charter?
A: A bareboat charter is a type of boat rental where the renter (charterer) is responsible for operating the boat without the assistance of a professional crew.
Q: How does GetMyBoat handle bareboat charters?
A: GetMyBoat facilitates the booking of bareboat charters through its online platform, but we don’t handle the operation of the boat. You, the charterer, are responsible for operating the boat in a safe and responsible manner.
Q: What qualifications do I need to charter a boat?
A: The qualifications required to charter a boat vary depending on the location and type of boat. In general, the charterer must be at least 18 years old and hold a valid boating license or certification if required by local laws. Check here for your state regulations - Boater Safety Education Programs in the United States.
Q: What should I consider before booking a bareboat charter?
A: Before booking a bareboat charter, consider the following factors:
- Your level of boating experience and qualifications
- The type and size of the boat
- The intended use of the boat (e.g. fishing, cruising, watersports)
- The local weather and sea conditions
- The local rules and regulations regarding boating and anchoring
Q: What is included in the cost of a bareboat charter?
A: The cost of a bareboat charter typically includes the rental of the boat, but may also include other expenses such as fuel, cleaning fees, and insurance. Be sure to read the listing carefully to understand what is included and what is not.
Q: What should I bring with me on a bareboat charter?
A: Depending on the boat and location, you may need to bring your own food, drinks, and other supplies. It's also important to bring appropriate clothing, sunscreen, and any necessary safety equipment.
Q: Can I hire a captain for a bareboat charter through GetMyBoat?
A: Yes, in some cases boat owners may offer the option to hire a captain for a bareboat charter. This can be a good option for those who do not have the necessary qualifications or experience to operate the boat themselves.