Whether you're taking a boat out on your own or renting a captained charter with a group of friends, there are some basic boating safety guidelines to remember.
- If you're on a captained charter, always heed your captain
- Slow down and never run on a watercraft, since wind or waves can change quickly and cause you to fall overboard
- Be careful and mindful of hatches and companionways
- Be cautious about swimming, floating, or paddling near or around other watercraft
- Use the buddy system to ensure everyone is accounted for
These tips aren't exhaustive, but intended to give you a sense of things to consider when boating in a safe fashion.